Sach Pass, the gateway to Pangi Valley has finally reopened for light vehicles and while it will take at least a few days to stabilize fully, it is doable now with some effort.
Sach Pass also has a tendency of closing down couple of times initially, hence those planning to do this route in their own vehicles, need to be quite cautious (especially early on and during monsoon season) and should attempt the pass, if the weather is clear and there isn’t any rain or snowfall to minimize the possibility of getting stranded.
For the uninitiated, Sach Pass is an high altitude pass, located at an altitude of 14,500ft, 127km from Chamba in Himachal Pradesh and 181km from Keylong, and provides an adventurous alternative route to Pangi and Lahaul Valleys, which travelers can then take to reach Ladakh and Spiti.
I had traveled to Sach Pass in August 2008, and travelogue from that ride can be viewed here Sach Pass Travelogue.
For all those planning to head to Sach Pass soon, all the best and make sure you are ready for an off road adventure :).
Hello Yogesh, wanted to know if Sach pass has opened this year
It hasn’t yet reopened, it will likely reopen by mid-June.
Hello Yogesh , thanks for the update, wanted to know if I can undertake the trip once it opens in mid June or wait till September as suggested by you on your travelogue. I own a bullet and I am fairly experienced in driving on tough terrain
You can do that, but road conditions are going to be quite bad and passes can easily close for a day or two, after they have reopened. In September, road condition would be much better, but there won’t be any snow. So if you want snow and don’t mind bad roads, then go towards the end of June.
Thanks to your blog…
I m planning to Sach Pass Via Chandigarh(20June15) – Mandi(21june) – Keylong(22june) – Udaipur (23june) – Sach Pass – Chamba – Chandigarh(24June or 25june)
and I m looking for good vehicle for 6pax from Chandigarh, I inquired through justdial for some agencies but they are not ready to give vehicle for this rout and some are asking for more than 25k, Innova.
is it right time to visit? if not then alternative place to visit in this time period?
which vehicle I should hire and costing for 6pax?
waiting for your reply